Heidelberg (dpa / lsw) - A discarded cigarette led to the major fire in the multi-storey office building in Heidelberg. The fire last Friday caused damage of several million euros, as the police announced on Wednesday. Around 30 people were able to save themselves from the building. Nobody got hurt.
According to the police, the fire started between waste containers at the foot of the office building. The cause was probably a cigarette that was still smoldering, which set fire to boxes and spray cans lying there. The fire spread through scaffolding on the building due to the rising wind. The spray cans exploded from the heat of the fire and there were loud bangs.
The police initiated investigations on suspicion of negligent arson against unknown persons. Around 60 police officers and 150 firefighters were involved in the fire on Friday.