Stuttgart (dpa / lsw) - Three people were injured in an apartment fire in Stuttgart early on Saturday morning. The fire brigade not only had to put out the flames, but also had to fulfill an unusual special order: A resident told the operations manager that he was getting married the next day and that his wedding suit was still in the building, as the fire brigade announced. All the utensils needed for the wedding, including the suit, were taken from the building. "So nothing stands in the way of the marriage and the Stuttgart fire brigade wishes a nice wedding party despite the dramatic events," it said.
According to initial investigations, the fire was triggered by a 38-year-old's stubbed out cigarette. The police said they set the curtains hanging in the ashtray on fire. The resident was taken to hospital with severe burn injuries to his arm and hands and smoke inhalation.
Around 5.30 a.m. local residents informed the fire brigade about an extensive apartment fire, they reported. When the first emergency services arrived, flames were already coming out of several windows in the attic apartment.
All residents of the four-storey house had already left it when the emergency services arrived. Two firefighters were slightly injured while extinguishing the fire, it was said. Two cats were handed over to the residents unharmed.
The house was no longer habitable after the extinguishing work. The damage to the building is said to be around 500,000 euros. The damage to the inventory of the house could not initially be quantified. Because the fire spread to the roof structure, the fire brigade used drones to find more embers.