Bavaria: Listeria cases: SPD criticizes authorities

The authorities are concerned with a number of Listeria diseases in Lower and Upper Bavaria, including one case with a fatal outcome.

Bavaria: Listeria cases: SPD criticizes authorities

The authorities are concerned with a number of Listeria diseases in Lower and Upper Bavaria, including one case with a fatal outcome. Criticism comes from the SPD parliamentary group.

Munich (dpa/lby) - After cases of listeria diseases became known up to seven years ago, the SPD parliamentary group has sharply criticized the actions of the authorities. Chairman Florian von Brunn called on consumer protection minister Thorsten Faithr (free voters) to "put all the facts in this case on the table now and show how such serious incidents can be prevented in the future". A spokesman for the ministry replied that a special report from the competent supervisory authority had already been commissioned.

The State Office for Health and Food Safety (LGL) announced last week that it had now succeeded in establishing a connection between 13 cases of Listeria diseases - including the death of an 85-year-old - in Lower and Upper Bavaria and a food company from the Passau district to manufacture. The company was closed by the district office in June 2022.

The cases had been found in the districts of Deggendorf, Dingolfing-Landau, Straubing-Bogen, Freyung-Grafenau, Altötting, Rottal-Inn and Passau and in the city of Passau since 2015.

Florian von Brunn referred to press reports that the now closed operation had not been checked for six years. The SPD politician said about the announcement by the state office: "Apparently, serious shortcomings and fatal failures were also rewritten as a success story."

Von Brunn said the case reminded him of the "Bayern-Ei" case, as a result of which food controls should have improved. Von Brunn accuses the Ministry of Health of refusing to provide information to a request from the SPD parliamentary group in the state parliament. "So this time, too, attempts are being made to cover it up."

A spokesman for Glauber firmly rejects this accusation. On June 24, 2022 - the day on which the company was closed for further production - the Ministry of Consumer Protection was informed of the facts. This must now be fully clarified. The Ministry had requested a special report from the supervisory authority on the facts and the measures taken by the authorities.

"Consumer protection has top priority," said the spokesman. The ministry expects consistent action from the local enforcement authorities - including district offices. Food business operators would have to meet their food law responsibilities, otherwise the enforcement authorities would have to take the necessary measures. The law enforcement authorities, in turn, would be supported in further investigations by food monitoring.

Yorum yapabilmek için üye girişi yapmanız gerekmektedir.

Üye değilseniz hemen üye olun veya giriş yapın.

NEXT NEWS