Nuremberg (dpa / lby) - The operator of an outpatient care service in Nuremberg has confessed in court that she has billed for years of unperformed services. Health insurance companies and the city of Nuremberg are said to have suffered damage of around 140,000 euros. The trial against the 51-year-old and her husband began on Thursday. The woman made her confession, as a spokeswoman for the Nuremberg District Court said. The proceedings against the husband were temporarily suspended in exchange for a payment of 10,000 euros. The Bayerischer Rundfunk (BR) had previously reported. (Ref.: 102 Js 10032/20)
As part of the investigations by the Central Office for Combating Fraud and Corruption in the Health Care System (ZKG), penal orders had recently been issued against ten senior citizens who are said to have helped the nursing service operators. According to the ZKG, dementia, pronounced body stiffness and a walking disorder should have been simulated when assessing the need for care. The nursing service is said to have procured an extra walker and bathtub help.
The nursing service operators are said to have stated that they treated the seniors accordingly and billed the health insurance companies for the services from 2014 to 2017. According to the ZKG, the "sprightly and age-appropriate healthy" men and women are said to have received monthly commission payments.
On Thursday, the 51-year-old admitted she was the mastermind behind the scam. She is to receive a maximum of one year and eight months probation for the fraud. The verdict is expected next Thursday.