Munich (dpa / lby) - According to estimates by the Bavarian Ministry of Transport, the second S-Bahn trunk route through Munich city center will be massively more expensive and will come years later than planned. The project support in the ministry is now expected to cost up to 7.2 billion euros, said Transport Minister Christian Bernreiter (CSU) on Thursday in Munich. Commissioning could take until 2037.
"We expect that Deutsche Bahn will disclose both its cost estimate and its schedule," said Bernreiter, referring to the long-silent sponsor. The last time the start time was 2028 was in the room. The planning for this has been going on for years: the federal and state governments had already agreed on joint financing in October 2016, according to which the federal government would assume 60 percent of the eligible construction costs. It was based on the total costs of 3.85 billion euros calculated by Deutsche Bahn at the time.
There should now be a need for discussion about the assumption of the additional costs. Bernreiter was annoyed that an appointment with Federal Minister of Transport Volker Wissing (FDP), which had been planned for Thursday for months, was canceled at short notice. "That's a very, very bad style for me, and I'll say: Mr. Wissing pinches."