Munich (dpa / lby) - In the debate about significantly increased costs for the construction of the second S-Bahn trunk line in Munich, the federal government is still committed to its financing. "The federal government is clearly committed to doing its part," said Bavaria's Transport Minister Christian Bernreiter (CSU) on Wednesday after a meeting with Federal Transport Minister Volker Wissing (FDP) in Berlin.
The ministers also asked the city of Munich to submit an application for the construction of the planned new underground line U9, for which a holding structure has to be built as part of the main line construction. Only then can the Free State ask the federal government for funding, said Bernreiter. The U9 is an independent project and, according to previous plans, could start in the early 2030s. However, the project can only be implemented if the retention structure is taken into account.
Now both ministers see Deutsche Bahn as having an obligation. As the sponsor of the measures, she must finally put time and cost plans on the table, Bernreiter demanded. So far, the Free State of Bavaria has only given a pre-financing commitment. Only when the railways put the details with the new costs on the table can a new financing commitment be made.
Bernreiter was satisfied after the meeting with Wissing, as he said he had been waiting for an appointment for months. The conversation took place in a pleasantly professional and solution-oriented atmosphere, said the CSU minister.
Only recently it became known that the mammoth project could cost up to 7.2 billion euros instead of 3.85 billion. The start of the second tunnel tube across the city center should also be delayed from 2028 to 2037. Deutsche Bahn wants to present exact figures in the autumn after thorough analysis.