Hanau (dpa / lhe) - After he failed to pay a fine imposed on him, the father of the Hanau assassin was arrested. The Hanau public prosecutor's office announced on Thursday that the man had been arrested the day before due to a legally binding penalty order from the Hanau district court. Hessenschau.de had previously reported about it. The man was arrested on Wednesday near his apartment on the street. He is now in a correctional facility.
The man is said to have repeatedly violated a judicial approach prohibition. He is said to have stayed several times near the apartment building where the mother of one of the victims of the racist attack of February 19, 2020 lives. The man's son, a 43-year-old German, shot nine people in Hanau that evening for racist reasons and then killed his mother and himself.
The background to the penalty order are six violations of the Violence Protection Act in the period from November 3rd to 11th last year. A total fine of 70 daily rates of 60 euros each was imposed on the man, which corresponds to a sum of 4200 euros. Overall, the public prosecutor's office investigated the man for 30 alleged violations of the Violence Protection Act, as a spokesman for the authority said.
The father was sentenced to a total fine of 4800 euros in September last year for insult in two cases, this judgment is not yet final. Among other things, he is said to have described people who took part in a demonstration near his home - including relatives of the victims of the attack - as "wild strangers" in a criminal complaint.