Gießen (dpa/lhe) - A defendant is said to have killed his wife with a headshot and is now facing murder in the Gießen district court. According to a court spokesman, the 65-year-old said neither about himself nor about the allegations at the beginning of the trial on Friday.
The public prosecutor's office accuses the German of violating the War Weapons Control Act in addition to murder out of malicious intent and base motives. In the act in December 2021 in Grünberg in central Hesse, he is said to have used a submachine gun of unknown origin.
The prosecution assumes that the man shot the 48-year-old from behind. The woman is said to have previously turned away from him because of his violent behavior. The defendant did not want to accept that.
The man was arrested at the alleged crime scene - a residential building. According to the investigators at the time, the lawyer for the 65-year-old had previously reported to the police and said that a homicide had occurred and that the man wanted to turn himself in.
According to the court spokesman, the first witnesses were heard on the first day of the trial. Police officers who had come to the scene of the incident and a witness from the neighborhood were invited.