Schwerin/Wismar (dpa/mv) - Despite the pending decisions on further company settlements at the three locations of the former MV shipyards, insolvency administrator Christoph Morgen considers the new start to be a success. "The insolvency proceedings went unexpectedly well. There are employment prospects at all locations," said Morgen on Tuesday in Schwerin. With the settlement of the naval arsenal in Rostock-Warnemünde, it was possible to secure 500 jobs. By May at the latest, 500 shipbuilders would be employed again in Wismar, who, among other things, should complete the large cruise ship there.
The ship, which last ran under the name "Global Dream", will in future sail for the Disney Group as the new owner. In Stralsund, the city has taken over the shipyard site in order to develop a maritime commercial area there.
Morgen emphasized the importance of the transfer company set up in the course of the insolvency with great state support. "It was the absolute prerequisite for the successful course of the insolvency proceedings," he said. For investors such as the Kiel submarine builder TKMS or the Hamburg Eppendorf Group, both of which set up production facilities in Wismar, the availability of skilled workers was a decisive factor.
According to Oliver Fieber, managing director of the agency for structural and personnel development, which was commissioned with the implementation of the transfer companies, almost 2,400 shipbuilders were admitted there. Around 70 percent have now started new jobs, received a job offer, become self-employed or started retraining. Several hundred of the shipyard workers had become unemployed when the company was phased out at the beginning of March, around 700 had previously looked for new employment themselves. Before the bankruptcy of the MV Werften-Verbund, which belongs to the Genting Group (Hong Kong), around 3,100 people were employed there.