Ludwigslust (dpa/mv) - The short-term cancellation of the traditional final fireworks at the small festival in the large park on Saturday in the Ludwigslust Palace Park by the State Palaces, Gardens and Art Collections of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania (SSGK) caused a stir. At the opening of the festival at 6:00 p.m., the artistic director of the event with the most visitors at the Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Festival, Harald Böhlmann, pointed out the fireworks in the park at the end - and then had to cancel it late in the evening.
At 8:15 p.m. he received an email from the responsible employee of the SSGK that the fireworks would not be approved out of concern for the historic park, said Böhlmann in front of the around 9,000 visitors to the small festival. Previously, the SSGK had repeatedly delayed its decision for days. He considers this a "cheap pretext," said Böhlmann. His personal opinion is that the responsible employee of the SSGK has something against the event and against fireworks. "She does not want that."
Böhlmann put his speech on the Internet. In the comments, the majority supported Böhlmann. However, understanding for the SSGK decision was also expressed. A user wrote: "Why do fireworks (...) have to be lit in a baroque garden with a baroque castle after weeks of drought? I don't understand."
According to Böhlmann, all other responsible parties, including the fire brigade, agreed to the fireworks. The lowest forest fire warning level 1 prevailed on Saturday. Böhlmann announced that he wanted to catch up on the fireworks - on the square in front of the castle, which is not managed by the SSGK, but by the city of Ludwigslust.