Schwerin (dpa / mv) - The proceedings against two men who should answer in court because of the allegation of commercial receiving stolen goods have been discontinued by the Schwerin district court. The 52 and 33-year-old defendants have to pay 2,500 and 1,250 euros to the state treasury, according to a court spokesman on Thursday.
The public prosecutor had accused the men of having traded stolen car parts from Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania via an Internet portal in 2012 and 2013. The indictment listed 190 cases. They said they bought mostly engines and transmissions cheaply, especially in Poland.
The parts are said to have come from vehicles that had been reported stolen in Germany, France, Great Britain, Italy and Sweden, among other places. According to the court, the investigators were able to understand this from the markings on car parts that had been secured in a camp owned by the accused.
According to the court spokesman, the proceedings were discontinued because, given the lack of confessions and the time that had elapsed, it would have been very time-consuming for the court to prove the conscious stolen goods. Countless witnesses would have had to be heard and documents read out without it being possible to finally impose penalties with certainty.