Rostock (dpa/mv) - Two raids on senior citizens in Rostock in one day are now before the court. A 37-year-old German is accused of attacking old people indiscriminately to get money. According to the indictment, a pensioner suffered life-threatening injuries. He is said to have first hit her, then choked her and finally attacked her with a knife. The trial for attempted murder begins on July 21, the district court announced on Monday.
The accused is said to have attacked the woman in her apartment building in mid-January when she accidentally opened the door to empty the mailbox. The booty amounted to 70 euros. On the same day he is said to have attacked a retired couple when the old man entered his apartment. The victim also sustained stab wounds to the neck, investigators said. The wife had been locked in the living room, and the two old people had been confiscated, among other things, of their debit cards and pieces of jewellery.
In the course of the investigation, another alleged act came to light: the accused is said to have stabbed and injured his then partner in January 2016. He has been in custody since the January incident.