An explosion shook the village of Priborn near Röbel in December 2021. Rescue workers find a woman in a house who was previously killed. The husband is in court.
Neubrandenburg (dpa / mv) - The trial for manslaughter against a man from Priborn (Mecklenburg Lake District) is currently running behind closed doors. Judge Daniela Lieschke excluded the public on Thursday at the Neubrandenburg district court at the request of the defense. The reason given was that the process also discussed the permanent admission of the 66-year-old defendant to a psychiatric hospital. The verdict is to be announced publicly again.
The motive for the violent death of the accused's wife in early December 2021 in Priborn is still unclear. The former handyman is said to have suffocated his 65-year-old wife in the bedroom, according to the indictment. He then lay down on the bed next to her and lit a gas bottle with a candle. Among other things, the explosion tore a window in the house off its hinges: the man suffered severe burns, but survived.
After the dead woman was found, the public prosecutor ordered the man to be guarded. He first came to a special clinic in Berlin and was taken into custody weeks later after his release.
The defendant entered the courtroom on Thursday using a walker and burst into tears again. At the request of the public prosecutor, he was examined by a psychologist who is supposed to assess whether the 66-year-old was partially or fully culpable. For the expert, the assessments of the witnesses are also important in the process, which speaks for the longer exclusion of the public, said Lieschke.
A verdict is expected according to the previous process planning for August 9th. That depends on the statement of the defendant, it said.