Ahlen (dpa / lnw) - In a house in Ahlen (Warendorf district), a family of five suffered carbon monoxide poisoning. An ambulance had been alerted because of an emergency - and the carbon monoxide warning of the emergency services had sounded the alarm, the fire brigade said. The apartment was evacuated immediately on Friday. The family - three children and two adults - were taken to nearby hospitals. The fire brigade checked the four residential units as well as the attic and basement and provided ventilation. A master chimney sweep checked the gas boiler - and switched it off.
Carbon monoxide is a colourless, tasteless and odorless gas that spreads rapidly in confined spaces. It prevents the binding of oxygen to the red blood pigment hemoglobin in the body. As a result, the blood can no longer transport the vital oxygen. The gas can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea and unconsciousness and, in the worst case, death.