Hagen (dpa / lnw) - Almost 17 months after the flood disaster in summer 2021, hundreds of tons of waste are still waiting for final disposal. The waste will be temporarily stored in Hagen, it is mainly soil and rubble, said the NRW Ministry of the Environment in a response to a request from two FDP MPs published on Monday. The disposal is expected to be completed by the end of the year.
Due to the devastation and the immense amounts of waste, regulations for disposal had been relaxed in NRW. This allowed waste to be stored temporarily. You can also apply to the state for full coverage of the disposal costs. So far, almost 74 million euros have been paid out in this area, the Ministry of the Environment said.
During the 2021 flood, 49 people died in NRW and at least 135 people in northern Rhineland-Palatinate, 134 of them in the Ahr Valley.