Essen (dpa/lnw) - A mother and her five children aged up to 12 were slightly injured by smoke gases in a Christmas tree fire in an Essen apartment on Sunday. They came to hospitals, as reported by the Essen fire brigade. The tree caught fire for reasons that are still unknown. When firefighters arrived, tenants had already extinguished the tree. The apartment is uninhabitable because of the smoke from the fire.
The Essen fire brigade took the fire as an opportunity to call for vigilance. Many Advent arrangements and Christmas trees have already dried up and the candles have burned down. "Now make sure that the spark does not jump over," said a spokesman.