Heavy objects are thrown at moving cars twice in one day in Gelsenkirchen. Only with a lot of luck the drivers remain uninjured. Now the investigators have arrested two suspects – they are 14 and 15 years old.

Gelsenkirchen (dpa / lnw) – The police arrested two young people who are said to have thrown heavy objects at passing vehicles in a road tunnel in Gelsenkirchen. The two 14- and 15-year-old boys are in custody, police and prosecutors said on Thursday. They are being investigated for attempted homicide. Tips from witnesses would have brought the investigators on the trail of the two.

At the tunnel exit, a sidewalk slab hit the windshield of a moving car on Tuesday and partially smashed it. Several hours later, a stone hit the windshield of a pickup truck in the same spot. The drivers were unharmed in both cases and alerted the police. A homicide commission was set up to search for the perpetrators.

The first indications of the two 14- and 15-year-olds came from the witnesses shortly after the crime, the investigators said. The young people were then initially taken to the police station for identification purposes. Because the suspicion against them continued to substantiate, the public prosecutor’s office finally obtained arrest warrants for both of them.

The police and public prosecutor’s office have not yet given any information on the possible motives of the two boys. This is “the subject of further investigations,” said a police spokesman.

However, the investigation in this case is not yet complete. The police are still looking for witnesses who saw something unusual at the exit of the Vincke Tunnel. In their call, the investigators specifically ask for observations since December 29 – five days before the crime. The police spokesman did not say why the police were interested in this period, citing tactical reasons for the investigation.

Meanwhile, in the neighboring town of Bottrop, a moving bus was probably hit by a hurled stone on Wednesday evening. Two panes were broken. Since there were no passengers on the bus, no one was injured, a police spokeswoman said. A connection with the two cases in Gelsenkirchen is routinely checked. So far, however, there has been nothing to indicate that the cases belonged directly together.