Meghan Markle's father missed his daughter's wedding to Prince Harry because of heart surgery. According to a report, he wanted to travel to Great Britain on the occasion of the Queen's 70th jubilee - but a stroke thwarted his plan. The 77-year-old is being treated in a hospital.
Thomas Markle, Duchess Meghan's father, is said to have suffered a serious stroke and is currently being treated in a US hospital. This is reported by reporter Dan Wootton in an article by the "Daily Mail". The reporter previously spoke to Markle about his planned visit to the UK in an interview for GB News. "I am deeply saddened to announce this news just seven days before Thomas would have joined me in London to celebrate the Queen's 70th Jubilee for a TV special on my UK news program and to fulfill his long cherished wish to to visit Windsor Castle," Wootton writes in his latest post.
Samantha Markle, Meghan's half-sister, reportedly told the reporter: "My father is recovering in hospital. We ask for privacy for the family, for his health and well-being. He just needs rest and rest." The 77-year-old is said to have been taken to a hospital in Tijuana, Mexico, by friends and then transferred to a clinic in the United States overnight.
Thomas Markle announced in an interview at the end of April that he wanted to come to London on the occasion of Queen Elizabeth II's jubilee this year. He had hoped that there could be a reconciliation with his daughter and her husband Prince Harry.
According to his own statement, Prince Charles would also have liked to meet Markle and thank him for leading his daughter down the aisle. Markle missed Meghan and Harry's May 19, 2018 wedding due to heart surgery.
The relationship between Thomas Markle and his daughter has long been broken. Again and again he interferes in the life of his daughter. In early 2020, in an interview on British broadcaster Channel 5, he expressed his disappointment at his daughter's decision at the time to step down from her royal duties.