Großkochberg (dpa/th) - The hunter, who was seriously injured in a hunting accident near Großkochberg in the Saalfeld-Rudolstadt district last week, is dead. The man succumbed to his serious injuries, the police said on Monday. No further information was given. The investigations continued, it said. A police spokeswoman did not confirm reports from Mitteldeutscher Rundfunk (MDR) that the hunter had been hit in the head by a ricochet.
The man suffered a serious gunshot wound on Thursday evening during a so-called harvest hunt. A large contingent of police, fire brigade and rescue services was deployed to clarify what happened. During harvest hunts, hunters station themselves around a field that is being harvested. If game - especially wild boar - is scared away, it can be killed by the hunters. The President of the Thuringian State Hunting Association, Ludwig Gunstheimer, warned in the MDR to be particularly careful with this type of hunt.