Even three years after the Hanau attack, the father of the assassin continues to occupy the judiciary. Police arrested him after refusing to pay a fine for violating a restraining order.
The father of the Hanau assassin has been arrested after failing to pay a fine imposed on him. Among other things, the man is said to have repeatedly violated a judicial prohibition on approaching and repeatedly stayed near a residential building where the mother of one of the victims of the racist attack of February 19, 2020 lives. Because of this, the father received a fine of 4,200 euros, which he did not pay. The man's son, a 43-year-old German, shot nine people in Hanau for racist reasons and then killed his mother and himself.
The public prosecutor's office in Hanau informed dpa that an arrest warrant had been issued against the father the day before due to a final penalty order from the Hanau district court. The man was arrested on the street near his home.
The father was also sentenced to a total fine of 4,800 euros in two cases for insult in September last year, this judgment is not yet final. Among other things, he is said to have described people who took part in a demonstration near his home, including relatives of the victims of the attack, as "wild strangers" in a criminal complaint.