Lyon station attack in Paris: custody of the alleged assailant has resumed

Police custody of the 32-year-old man suspected of having injured three people with a knife on Saturday morning at Gare de Lyon in Paris has resumed after an interruption due to the psychiatric state of the person concerned, the police said

Lyon station attack in Paris: custody of the alleged assailant has resumed

Police custody of the 32-year-old man suspected of having injured three people with a knife on Saturday morning at Gare de Lyon in Paris has resumed after an interruption due to the psychiatric state of the person concerned, the police said. Paris prosecutor's office on Sunday February 4, confirming information from BFM-TV.

The alleged assailant was arrested on Saturday morning and then placed in police custody, but this was interrupted on Saturday evening because the behavioral examination had revealed “a psychiatric state incompatible with the measure of restraint”. He had been taken care of by the psychiatric infirmary of the Police Prefecture.

Three people who allegedly intervened when the attacker had grabbed “a knife and a hammer” were injured. The vital prognosis of the most seriously injured victim “would still be in jeopardy” on Sunday, according to the prosecution.

Investigation for attempted assassination

The suspect, of Malian nationality, has been “regularly in Italy since 2016, with a valid document issued in 2019”, according to the documents in his possession. This title allowed him to travel to France legally. He was until then unknown to the French and Italian police services, according to a police source.

An investigation into attempted assassination was opened and entrusted to the second district of the Parisian judicial police, according to the Paris prosecutor's office. The National Anti-Terrorism Prosecutor's Office specified, for its part, that it was under observation.