Lyon station attack: the man who injured three people indicted for attempted murder

The 32-year-old Malian who injured three people with a knife on Saturday morning at Gare de Lyon in Paris was indicted on Tuesday February 6 for attempted murder and aggravated violence committed with weapons, Le Monde learned from the public prosecutor's office

Lyon station attack: the man who injured three people indicted for attempted murder

The 32-year-old Malian who injured three people with a knife on Saturday morning at Gare de Lyon in Paris was indicted on Tuesday February 6 for attempted murder and aggravated violence committed with weapons, Le Monde learned from the public prosecutor's office. of Paris, who requested his pre-trial detention. He must now appear before a liberty and detention judge who will decide on security measures against him.

The investigations, which are now continuing under the direction of an investigating judge, relate to “aggravated assassination attempts” – a crime punishable by life imprisonment – ​​and “violence committed with a weapon”, also aggravated.

“The statements of the accused, like the exploitation of his telephone, led to the conclusion that he had committed his act to attack French people, because of their belonging to the nation,” explained earlier during the day prosecutor Laure Beccuau in a press release. The choice to target victims because of “their belonging, true or supposed”, to the French nation constitutes an aggravating circumstance, the public prosecutor further clarified.

For its part, the National Anti-Terrorism Prosecutor's Office (PNAT) has not taken action, "at this stage": informed of the investigations from the outset, the PNAT concluded that "the criteria were not met to take action", said explained the Paris prosecutor's office.

The assailant was arrested on Saturday morning and then placed in police custody, but this was interrupted on Saturday evening because the behavioral examination had revealed “a psychiatric state incompatible with the restraining measure”. He had been taken care of by the psychiatric infirmary of the Police Prefecture. His custody was able to resume at the end of the day on Sunday. Despite the intervention of passers-by, then security agents and the railway police, who were able to quickly stop him, he injured three people, one of whom, the most seriously injured, was still in hospital on Sunday between the life and death.

Hostile remarks against France and the French

Born in 1992, he benefited from “subsidiary protection” – a status issued when a person does not meet all the conditions for the right to asylum – acquired in Italy in 2016. Installed in the province of Turin, he “followed care in a mental health center", according to the prefect of police, Laurent Nuñez. Medicines were also found on him.

One element focuses the attention of investigators: on a TikTok account in the name of the attacker, a man with a beard, shaved hair and glasses makes comments hostile to France and the French, whom he accuses of having “looted” his country during the colonial period; or to Emmanuel Macron, presented as a “criminal” or a “terrorist”, who would have “chosen the camp of Satan” and left Mali “at the mercy of the jihadists”.

Throughout his videos, he makes remarks of a conspiratorial nature, evoking the role of Chad “manipulated by France” in Mali, or the financing by France of Maghreb countries to prevent African immigration. In a video posted in early December, he said, “R.I.P. [rest in peace] in three months, may Allah welcome me into his paradise”, an element which could suggest premeditation of his actions.