The US commando raid in Yemen, which left one Navy Seal and dozens of innocent civilians dead, was reportedly unsuccessful at capturing significant intelligence — despite claims to the contrary from the Trump administration.
The first military operation launched under President Trump was designed to kill or capture terrorists — not gather intelligence as the Pentagon claimed — and has so far produced nothing of value, NBC News reported on Monday.
A senior Congressional official said the Trump administration has yet to explain what prompted the rare use of American ground troops in Yemen, according to NBC News.
The new details about the raid became public one day after the father of the Navy Seal killed went public to call for an investigation.
During the Jan. 29 raid, the commandos were drawn into a prolonged firefight in the mountainous village. At least 25 civilians including were killed including the 8-year-old daughter of U.S.-born al Qaeda cleric Anwar al-Awlaki.
A $70 million Osprey aircraft needed to be destroyed by US forces after it made a hard landing.
The White House has repeatedly called the mission a “success” and blasted Sen. John McCain (R- Ariz.) and others who questioned the merits of the operation.
The father of Ryan Owens, the Navy Seal killed in the raid, called for an investigation into the botched raid during an interview published in the Miami Herald Sunday.
“Don’t hide behind my son’s death to prevent an investigation,” Bill Owens told The Miami Herald from his home in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. “I want an investigation. … The government owes my son an investigation.”
The plans for the raid were initially hatched under the Obama Administration but were ultimately approved by President Trump while he was having dinner with his son-in-law just five days after the inauguration.
Our editors found this article on this site using Google and regenerated it for our readers.