Gunman opens fire inside Milwaukee police station days after in-custody death

Authorities said that a man entered the District 5 lobby at 3:00 p.m. Friday and fired several shots.

Gunman opens fire inside Milwaukee police station days after in-custody death

After a 20 year-old died in his cell, a gunman fired at the staff of a Milwaukee police station.

The two incidents are being investigated by authorities.

"So, we all know that the incident occurred recently with regard to what happened at District Number 5. Chief Jeffrey Norman stated that they are still investigating all aspects of the incident at a Friday night news conference.

According to a news release, a man entered the District 5 lobby at around 3:00 p.m. Friday and fired multiple shots.

According to the department, "At that time, there were many community members in the lobby." "An officer returned fire and the suspect fled the scene on foot."

Officers chased the suspect, and he was caught on a nearby street. "Multiple officers discharged their guns," hitting him multiple times.

23-year-old suspect suffered non-fatal injuries. He was taken to the hospital. According to the release, officers recovered his firearm. His name has not been released by police.

The shooting involved seven Milwaukee officers. All seven officers were placed on administrative duty as a standard procedure.

Norman stated at the news conference, "There are a lot shaken up employees so my heart goes out to my staff."

Two days prior to the shooting, Keishon, 20 years old, died in his cell at District 5 Station. He had been arrested earlier that morning for traffic violations.

According to a police news release, he was stopped for a traffic violation just before 2 AM and was taken into custody after officers discovered he had a warrant.

Authorities also found illegal narcotics in his car, according to authorities.

According to the news release, staff at the jail conducted "multiple cell checks" throughout the day. Around 6 p.m. they noticed Thomas in need of medical attention.

Thomas was declared dead by officers and firefighters. Investigations into the death are ongoing.

According to the medical examiner's office, there was no trauma during an autopsy. A toxicology report is currently being prepared.

Yorum yapabilmek için üye girişi yapmanız gerekmektedir.

Üye değilseniz hemen üye olun veya giriş yapın.