According to authorities, a gunman shot his children, his chaperone, and himself, during a court-supervised visit Monday night at a church outside Sacramento, California.
Officials said Monday night that the gunman's children were aged 15 and under. Sources close to law enforcement said that the shooter used an AR-15-style semiautomatic gun.
Sheriff Scott Jones stated at an evening news conference, that the mother of all three children was informed of the tragedy while she was away from home. He said that the adult who was appointed by a judge to oversee the visit was likely someone who could be arranged to meet the needs of both mother and father.
Jones stated that it "is evidently behind any rational comprehension," and added, "You just do not know what people can do."
According to authorities, the father was the subject of a temporary restraining order. This could have been part of a domestic case. Jones stated that Jones was still investigating many details.
The names of the victims weren't available.
Sacramento County Sheriff's Sergeant. Rod Grassmann stated earlier that gunfire erupted at the church shortly after 5 p.m., but was not identified.
Eric Guerra , Sacramento Mayor Pro Tem, posted a social media address that corresponded with a small residential-like place called the Church of Sacramento. Jones stated that the location was home to multiple denominations.
Also, the address was in the dispatcher radio traffic regarding the shooting. A Christian denomination, the Church of Sacramento did not respond immediately to a request for comment.
This neighborhood is located in Arden Arcade which borders Sacramento's eastern border and was built after World War II.
The sergeant stated that the threat had been ended and that there were no other suspects.