Without presenting any evidence, the Russian secret service FSB blames Ukraine for the attack on Darya Dugina. A Ukrainian assassin is said to have fled to Estonia after the crime. But the Baltic state rejects this and speaks of a provocation by Moscow.
Estonia's Foreign Minister Urmas Reinsalu has dismissed the FSB's claim that the alleged murderer of Russian pro-war supporter Darya Dugina fled to the Baltic EU-NATO country. According to the current assessment of the foreign ministry in Tallinn, this statement is an information operation, said the chief diplomat of the Baltic EU and NATO member bordering Russia on the Estonian radio.
The FSB blames a Ukrainian born in 1979 for the murder on Sunday night and also published a video about it. The woman is said to have entered Russia with her daughter at the end of July and fled to Estonia after the crime.
A spokesman for the Estonian Prosecutor General's Office in Tallinn told the BNS agency that the agency had not received any inquiry from the Russian side on the matter. Russian opposition figures doubted the representation of the secret service. Kyiv had already denied involvement in Dugina's death at the weekend.
Meanwhile, the US government announced that it had no precise information about the background to the assassination attempt. "We don't really know who was behind it and what the motive might have been," National Security Council communications director John Kirby told CNN. There was no direct communication with the Ukrainian government accused by Russia. However, Kyiv was "very transparent" when it denied any involvement.