Novak Djokovic and Alexander Zverev moved only hours later. According to the world ranking list from Serbia on Thursday night the Management of the German Topspielers the commitment for the US Open (from the 31. August) confirmed. The organizers of the Grand Slam tournament, this is likely to provide a large sigh of Relief. Finally, it had a prominent rejection after the other hailed.
"He's leaving on Saturday and will participate in the US Open," said Zverevs Management Team 8 Global, the sports information service (Sid) on request: "He is reported for around three weeks and is now fully in preparation mode." Earlier, Djokovic had written on his Website that the commitment for him "was not an easy decision with all the obstacles and challenges in many points". He said he was glad but at the prospect of stepping back into the Competition.
Djokovic has also confirmed his participation in the General sample Western and Southern Open (from 22. August), which takes place as a General sample, also in Flushing Meadows. Also Zverev is on the entry list for the tournament.
Two big names in the industry are missing. The Spaniard Rafael Nadal, after all, the defending champion at the US Open, focused on the European clay court season, and a possible 13. Title at the French Open (starting on August 27. September). And Grand-Slam record winner Roger Federer has ended his season due to a knee injury. So Djokovic, in the absence of the great opportunity in New York 18. Major-to get the title and Federer (20) and Nadal (19) and come closer.
But it also lurks Zverev. He wants to for the first time lift at one of the most important Tennis tournaments in the world, a trophy in the sky. The world ranking seventh was moved in the Australian Open, the only Grand-Slam Event of the year, to the semi-finals. Djokovic triumphed in Melbourne. And want to more.
the Grand Slam record, Djokovic's is the largest drive, he had emphasized in January for the umpteenth time. "The Grand Slams are one of the main reasons that I'm still to compete," he said: "of course I try to be the historical number one, this is a great goal."
With your admissions to the US Open, could Djokovic and Zverev now also a Signal for other, still doubting professionals. The top German player Angelique Kerber is also on the entry list, has avoided a firm commitment but yet. Kerber had recently expressed safety concerns for themselves and their Team, also Zverev made a doubt, according to.
the former tournament winner Stan Wawrinka (Switzerland) or Nick Kyrgios had already Canceled, with the ladies around the world will be a lack of ranking first Ashleigh Barty (both Australia) and the German number two, Julia Görges.Updated Date: 13 August 2020, 15:21