Johnny Manziel’s comeback is getting “serious.”
The infamous NFL flunkout has an agent again and is drawing free-agent interest, according to NFL Network.
Manziel, 24, who did not play in the 2016 season after being cut by the Cleveland Browns, re-hired former agent Erik Burkhardt after making what the report termed “serious commitments,” an apparent reference to his health and fitness amid ongoing struggles with substance abuse. Manziel was dropped by a series of agents last year after prioritizing partying over playing ball.
NFL teams gathered at the annual pre-draft Combine in Indianapolis reportedly have “real interest” in Manziel, a once-electric scrambling QB who won the Heisman Trophy at Texas A&M and was drafted in the first round by the Browns in 2014.
First, Manziel may be subject to an NFL suspension under the substance abuse protocols or the personal conduct policy stemming from his 2016 indictment on charges of assaulting his ex-girlfriend.
He was in court in Dallas on Tuesday to update a judge on his progress following the conditions of a deal to get those charges dismissed — which includes completing a substance-abuse program and an anger management course.
“Everything has been going extremely smoothly and my life is trending upward,” Manziel said, according to the Dallas Morning News, “so I don’t even want to let this get anywhere near the rabbit hole that you were describing.”
“I want to play football,” Manziel said as he left the courthouse.
Our editors found this article on this site using Google and regenerated it for our readers.