It has been a source of fascination for a long time that the French suffer very little heart trouble or other medical conditions despite the meals high in animal fats, the creamy sauces over those meals, as well as lots of dairy. Additionally, the French drink wine all day, every day. There’s a reason for that they tell us.
Science bears them out. Red wine is rich in resveratrol, which comes from the crushed skins of dark grapes. Here are located the antioxidant properties, the anti-inflammatory properties, and the properties regulating lipids. What other health benefits are assigned to wine?
Health Benefits of Red Wine
It’s amazing that wine, especially red wine like that found at San Antonio Winery, benefits so many parts of the brain and body:
- Science has found that red wine prevents coronary disease. One glass of wine for women and two for men are enough to fight the oxidative stress responsible for heart diseases
- Blood pressure is benefitted as well by red wine. A compound called procyanidins preserve the health of the blood vessels. Tip: non-alcoholic red wine works, too
- Dementia and depression. The polyphenols in addition to other compounds decrease the inflammation and change the lipid profile. Studies show that those who drink two to seven glasses of wine per week suffered less depression
- A healthy gut benefits from the polyphenols as well as prebiotics found in red wine
- Vision loss is also aided by drinking red wine. The resveratrol decreases inflammation and oxidation causing stress, which would benefit glaucoma, cataracts, macular degeneration in diabetics, diabetic retinopathy, and cataracts
Health Benefits of White Wine
There’s more research on red wine than on its less popular sister, the white wine. However, white is nothing to sneeze at, as evidenced by its own particular brand of antioxidants. It also contains compounds that pack just as hearty a punch as red wine:
- White wine helps the body repair endothelial cells. These cells line the blood vessels and heart. Their properties control the contraction and relaxation of the heart muscle. They release enzymes that regulate immune function, blood clotting, and sticky platelets
- Even though there are more antioxidants in red than in white wine, those in white wine are powerful. They were tried out on mice in one study, who evidenced less risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease
- One particular phenol is only found in white wine. Called caffeic acid, it has been found to decrease the risk of heart diseases and kidney diseases
- Studies show that white wine’s compounds help both function and capacity of the lungs
- White wine’s properties improve the LDL or bad cholesterol. This is vital to Type II diabetes because it raises the risk of heart attack and stroke
Additional Benefits of Consuming Wine
Another benefit of drinking wine is anti-aging. Wine contains a protein called sirtuins. This protein protects the body from the diseases associated with aging.
The antioxidants in wine also benefit the skin. It affects the blood circulation that gives skin its healthy glow, prevents saggy skin, and prevents the formation of wrinkles. Antioxidants also fight the bacteria that cause acne as well as affect the elasticity of the skin.
White wine properties called epicatechin, quercetin, and resveratrol affect weight loss by burning excess fat around the belly. There’s a difference between being overweight and being obese. A few extra pounds of muscle, water, and fat is a whole different thing than many more extra pounds of straight-up fat. White wine burns off belly fat.
Perhaps one of the most important factors in drinking wine is its capability of destroying viruses that enter the body. The immune system fights off an alien thing that threatens the body. Wine strengthens the immune system with its antioxidants and polyphenols. In fact, wine fights off up to 200 viruses including the common cold and flu.
Everything in moderation is the best advice science can give us. It works, and if you want a healthy body and lifestyle, then consuming wine in moderation will be of tremendous benefit to your body and health.