UN-Secretary-General António Guterres has warned of a further escalation of the military situation in Libya. More than 400,000 people had already fled from the violence within the crisis-hit country, said Guterres on Wednesday in front of the UN security Council in New York.
In the Federal foreign Minister Heiko Maas (SPD) - led Libya-meeting of the security Council, Guterres said that nearly 30,000 people had to flee the recent Fighting in the South of Tripoli and the nearby Tarhouna. From outside came the modern war of mercenaries device, and more and more to Libya. The UN Secretary-General called on the parties to the conflict in Libya to a political solution. The main players in the current fighting, the UN-recognized government of Prime Minister Fajis al Sarradsch and rebel General Khalifa Haftar are.
Maas referred before the start of the security Council session on the elements of a political process: the full compliance with the arms embargo, the closed support of the international community for a United Nations-led peace process and a lasting truce that could be monitored.
"find A political solution to the conflict in Libya, will not be easy," said Maas. At the Berlin conference in January 2020, a timetable had been decided for a peaceful future of the North African country. After the fall of longtime dictator Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, militias had taken control and the country descended into Chaos.Updated Date: 08 July 2020, 17:20