Coupe de France: Rennes puts an end to Le Puy's dreams and qualifies for the semi-finals

The Puy course ends in quarters

Coupe de France: Rennes puts an end to Le Puy's dreams and qualifies for the semi-finals

The Puy course ends in quarters. The National 2 club (4th division), which dreamed of a final in the Coupe de France, was logically knocked out by Rennes on Thursday February 29 in Saint-Etienne, with a double from Benjamin Bourigeaud and a goal from Arthur Theate (3-1).

The Rennais, 7th in Ligue 1, who have just won eleven times for a draw and a defeat, in all competitions, join Lyon and Valenciennes (Ligue 2) in the last four, both victorious respectively. Tuesday and Wednesday from Strasbourg and Rouen (National, 3rd division) on penalties. The final quarter-final will pit Paris Saint-Germain against Nice on March 13.

Compared to the trip to the Parc des Princes, which concluded with a draw (1-1), on Sunday, the Breton coach, Julien Stephan, largely rotated his squad in anticipation of the reception of Lorient on Sunday in Ligue 1. Only Guéa and Désiré Doué, Amine Gouiri and Baptiste Santamaria were brought on at kick-off.

Stade Rennes, which had eliminated Sochaux (National, 6-1) in the previous round, ideally started the match with a goal scored with a header by Arthur Theate who catapulted the ball into the Puy goal upon receiving a corner played by Benjamin Bourigeaud (9th). Previously, goalkeeper Matis Carvalho had magnificently diverted an attempt from Gouiri (8th).

In front of more than 30,000 spectators gathered in the Geoffroy-Guichard stadium, the Haute-Loire team did not disunite and, although it conceded a few corners, it was not in any more danger until half-time.

Le Puy, 2nd in its group in N2, even looked good throughout the match, threatening a shot from Jules Meyer, repelled by goalkeeper Gauthier Gallon (26th) while Mehdi Beneddine shot above (37th).

The Puy Valorous players

Rennes, however, managed to widen the gap at the start of the second half with a seemingly generous penalty transformed into force by Bourigeaud for a foul committed by Salim Akkal on Adrien Truffert (2-0, 48th).

But the Puy players reacted well, reducing the gap thanks to Bryan Adinany who anticipated Gallon's exit after a pass from Meyer (2-1, 62nd). Valorous, they dominated the end of the match but without being really dangerous.

Rennes, solid in defense and rather realistic offensively, waited for their moment to seize the opportunity to deliver the blow through Bourigeaud, again, who scored from close range following a one-two in the area with Arnaud Kalimuendo ( 3-1, 82nd). Bourigeaud, involved in six goals during his last two starts, was again decisive on Thursday with an assist and his double.