Just in time for the beginning of autumn, many people feel like new clothes. If you want to give your wardrobe an update that is kind to both the climate and your wallet, you should consider the following when shopping.
A full wardrobe and still nothing to wear? Most of them have been at that point before. The dilemma is due, among other things, to purchases that later turned out to be bad investments. Thanks to the following tips, they are now a thing of the past.
In order to counteract bad purchases, the first thing to do is to take stock. It shows which items of clothing are in the closet and how often they are used. It is best to sort out unworn items immediately. Then use the remaining parts to work out which colors, cuts and patterns you feel particularly comfortable in.
Once the shopping list is in place, you need to set a budget and divide it up according to the 80/20 rule. That means: 80 percent of the money flows into timeless, high-quality basics. This can be a white T-shirt, well-fitting jeans or a warm cashmere sweater. The remaining 20 percent is available for seasonal trends.
This has the advantage that new purchases can be better integrated into the existing wardrobe. Because they often get stuck in the closet because they don't have the right combination partner. In order to avoid this, it is best to put together possible outfits in your mind when trying them on. If nothing is found, it is most likely a bad buy.
New purchases should therefore be well thought out and not made under time pressure. In a hurry, there is a great danger of making compromises and buying something that is not 100 percent convincing. If in doubt, sleep over the investment for a night.
Particular caution is required with sale items. Although they lure with low prices, they are often non-returnable. That's why: Don't buy anything that you wouldn't have bought at the original price. Always weigh the price in relation to the frequency of use. An expensive coat that is used every day in winter may have a better balance than a cheap piece from the clearance sale.