Democratic Congressman John Conyers announced his withdrawal on Tuesday after having received numerous allegations of sexual harassment from his advisors. He is the first national politician to lose his job during the recent surge of accusations against men of power such as producer Harvey Weinstein, actor Kevin Spacey or journalist Charlie Rose. Conyers, the chamber's most senior congressman, supported his son's candidacy to succeed him as Michigan's representative.
"My legacy cannot be compromised or underestimated in any way for this." This should also happen. My legacy will continue through my children, "said the 88-year-old congressman from a hospital bed in Detroit.
The pressure weighed for days on Conyers after being accused of touching and groping the legs and the back of at least two women on numerous occasions during the last 20 years. In one case, the congressman reached an economic agreement of $27,000 with the victim. Despite denying the allegations, the Democrat left last week his prestigious seat in the Justice Commission after the party leaders asked for it. It was the first step. This Tuesday, the octogenarian called a local radio to explain their imminent retreat from Congress.
In recent days, both the leader of the Republicans at the Capitol, Paul Ryan, as the Democrat, Nancy Pelosi, said that Conyers had to leave his post. The Democrat is the first national politician to fall during the recent wave of accusations of sexual abuse and harassment, which began last October with testimonies about the producer Weinstein.
Democratic Senator Al Franken has received at least three accusations for inappropriate behaviors, but to date he has argued that he won't quit. Roy Moore, the Republican wannabe in the Senate for Alabama, is accused of sexual abuse by at least eight women, one of whom was underage when the facts occurred. Far from retiring from the political struggle, Moore, whose candidacy has backed President Donald Trump, leads the polls.
The situation is different in the private sector. Since the first accusations against Weinstein, more than thirty men recognized in the world of entertainment, art or television have been forced to abandon their positions of influence after receiving accusations.