FBI to pay $10 million to each of the 13 Larry Nassar victims for bungled investigations

Thirteen victims from Larry Nassar have filed a $10 million claim against the FBI. They claim that a botched investigation by agents resulted in more abuse being done by the sports doctor. Lawyers said Thursday.

FBI to pay $10 million to each of the 13 Larry Nassar victims for bungled investigations

This is an attempt to hold the government accountable for any assaults that took place after July 2015. The inspector general of the Justice Department concluded that the FBI committed fundamental mistakes after it was made aware of allegations against Nassar in 2015.

Nassar was both a Michigan State University doctor and a USA Gymnastics doctor. For assaulting female gymnasts, including Olympic medal-winning Olympic gymnasts, he is currently serving decades behind bars.

Attorney Jamie White stated that this was not a case of tax cheats or fake 20-dollar bills. These were the allegations of a serial-rapist, who was known by the FBI to be the Olympic U.S. physician with unrestricted access to young women.

He said that Nassar continued to reign terror for 17 months.


 

The FBI received an email requesting comment.

White has not yet sued the FBI. Federal law requires that tort claims be filed with the government agency. The agency then has six months to respond. Depending on the FBI's response, a lawsuit could be filed.

Grace French, founder of The Army of Survivors, stated that no one should have been attacked after 2015. "To know that this trauma could have been avoided is disgusting to me."

White mentioned the massacre at Florida's Marjory Stoneman Douglas high school in 2018. White noted the 2018 massacre at Florida's Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. The FBI received a tip five weeks prior to the incident. However, the tip was not forwarded to the FBI South Florida office. The government offered to pay $127.5 millions to the families of those who were killed or injured.

USA Gymnastics, based in Indianapolis, told FBI agents that three of its gymnasts had claimed they had been assaulted by Nassar in the Nassar case. According to the report of the inspector general, the FBI didn't open an investigation nor inform Michigan state or federal authorities.

The inspector general stated that in 2016, Los Angeles FBI agents began a sexual-tourism investigation against Nassar. They interviewed many victims, but didn't notify the authorities from Michigan.

Christopher Wray, FBI Director, publicly apologized for the way agents handled this matter.

At a September Senate hearing, he said to victims that he was sorry for letting so many people down. "And I'm particularly sorry that people at the FBI had their chance to stop this monster in 2015, but failed. It's unacceptable. It shouldn't have happened."

White claimed that more than 100 women were raped after July 2015. He expects other lawyers to file claims against FBI. During an investigation by the Michigan State University police, Nassar was not arrested until November 2016.

While the assault charges were ultimately handled by the Michigan attorney general's Office, federal prosecutors in Grand Rapids (Michigan) filed a child pornography charge against Nassar.

Michigan State University was also accused of failing to stop Nassar. It agreed to pay $500 million for more than 300 girls and women who were assaulted. USA Gymnastics and U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Committee reached a $380 million settlement.


 

Yorum yapabilmek için üye girişi yapmanız gerekmektedir.

Üye değilseniz hemen üye olun veya giriş yapın.

NEXT NEWS