First in the USA, now also in Great Britain: Kevin Spacey has to answer to the court in London because of new allegations of sexual assault. After the first day of the trial, the actor remains at large for the time being. According to the judge, there is no risk of flight.
Kevin Spacey remains at large after a first trial date in London on allegations of sexual assault. This was decided by a judge at the start of the criminal proceedings against the 62-year-old Hollywood star in London. There is no risk of escape. He didn't have to give up his passport either. The public prosecutor's office, however, had demanded that Spacey should only be allowed to remain free on condition that he did not leave London until the next court hearing.
Spacey faces four counts of sexual assault against three different men. The alleged acts are said to have happened between 2005 and 2013 in London and the county of Gloucestershire. Another is charged with "penetrative sexual activity without consent." According to his lawyer, Spacey denies all the allegations.
The trial will continue at Southwark Crown Court on July 14, the PA news agency reported from the courtroom. During the almost 30-minute hearing, Spacey only commented on his name and address. As he made his way in and out of the courthouse, Spacey did not respond to journalists' questions. However, he seemed confident and smiled.
Spacey previously told ABC that he was optimistic the trial would prove his innocence. He reportedly traveled from the US earlier this week.
Allegations of sexual assault had already been made against the Oscar winner in the United States in 2017. The allegations had serious consequences for Spacey: He lost his leading role in the Netflix series "House of Cards", fell out of favor in the industry and experienced a dramatic career crash. Spacey has denied all allegations against him.