It had become apparent that the mayor of Rostock would recommend that the city parliament forego the federal garden show altogether. Large urban development projects are to come anyway.
Rostock (dpa/mv) - The Mayor of Rostock, Claus Ruhe Madsen (non-party), will recommend the citizens of the Hanseatic city to cancel the Federal Horticultural Show. He informed the Schwerin Environment Minister Till Backhaus (SPD), it said in a joint press release on Friday.
According to Madsen, the risk analysis and a re-examination of the planned projects would have confirmed that the projects could not be approved and implemented in time due to the changed conditions caused by Corona and the war in Ukraine. Minister Backhaus said: "I'm glad that the mayor has finally taken a clear position, even if we definitely would have preferred a different result."
On Tuesday evening, Buga Rostock 2025 GmbH announced that there would be no Federal Horticultural Show in Rostock in its previously planned form in 2025. An investigation had been submitted to the Buga supervisory board that it would not be possible to prepare the so-called Rostocker Oval along the Warnow river as the sole event area by 2025. Most recently, there was a shift or an alignment in a slimmed-down form. On Thursday, Backhaus and Madsen met for an interview.
"We discussed how urban development can be achieved with the support of the state even without the one-off Buga event," Madsen is quoted as saying. To this end, according to Backhaus, he should present a list of priority projects - combined with a binding schedule for their financing, approval, implementation and maintenance.
City and state agree that coastal and flood protection in the city port will be an integral part of the projects to be implemented. Madsen will, according to his own statements, recommend that the citizenship continue to vigorously pursue the development of the city harbor, including the preparatory work for the Archaeological State Museum and the Warnow Bridge and the city park.